Re: Garage Kits

1SWO%mimi@magic.itg.ti.com
Wed, 4 Sep 96 11:39:49 CDT

From: Scott Swoboda

Subject: Re: Garage Kits

Walter Amos wrote:

>Hahaha..."Gamilonesque"....that's a good description, it does look like
>something Gamilon aesthetics would have come up with...
>
>But I am pretty certain that they are attached somehow (not entirely sure
>how since they never showed a lot of detail of them in the series). I dont
>believe it would be possible for separate ships to maintain that tight a
>formation, especially during turn maneuvers, without being physically
>attached.

I also found that the other set of outriggers belonged to Lettenheim (sp?)
When his ship turned to make its escape, er.. "maneuver" and began to blast
his own supply ships, the outriggers seemed to turn at different rates
than the flagship they were protecting. Then I think the outriggers were
sacrificed to protect his "flank." But, in viewing the fleet maneuvers of
this series, I believe it is safe to say that the empire could turn ships
in close formation if it really wanted to. The black lancers I think make
a fine example.

>As to what they're for, the most likely explanation is that most common of
>reasons in the anime cosmology, they look cool.

That must be the case. Littenheim's outriggers look more like a tube of
toothpaste that has been "cinched" on both ends than the finny, pointy
outriggers of Braunshweig's ship. Still looks cool though. I'll have
to make some kind of "U" shaped stand so that I can have the outriggers
in formation and slide the "Wilhelmina" in between and have my choice
of which "Noble" ship to display.

Regards,
Scott Swoboda