Re: more nonsense about ranks

Luna (cmhung@insti.physics.sunysb.edu)
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 23:18:16 -0400

Was wondering whether anyone will catch my error =)

On Oct 21, 2:38pm, I wrote:
> Subject: Re: more nonsense about ranks
>
> Another quick look at the TV comics produced this table of Imperial
> insignia:
>
> gensui (fleet admiral) - that shoulder plate thing
> joukyuu taishou (senior admiral) - 4 stripes
> taishou (admiral) - 3 stripes
> chuujou (vice admiral) - 2 stripes
> junshou (commodore) - 1 stripe
>
> The number of stripes includes the outermost "edge" of the shoulder plate.
> Joukyuu taishou doesn't really have a shoulder plate, rather more like
> pieces of a shoulder plate, but you can count 4 stripes in his "shoulder
> pads" if you ignore the edge on one side. Donno how many stripes Reinhard
> has under his shoulder plates, have to ask Walter since he made one of
> those for himself =)

Seems like I mistook the insignia of taii (lieutenent) as that of joukyuu
taishou (senior admiral). Gomen =) The Imperial insignia for shoui
(ensign), chuui (lieutenent junior grade) and taii (lieutenent) have
respectively 1, 2 and 3 stripes on their "shoulder pads". For joukyuu
taishou, as expected we have the usual admiral shoulder plate with 4
stripes (including the "edge" of the shoulder plate). It's not easy
to spot a joukyuu taishou, though in the composite image of the imperial
officers in my LoGH page, you can tell that several admirals in front
have 4 stripes on their insiginia.

What I donno is how the Imperial insignia of the middle ranks (lieutenent
commander to captain) look like...

I also tried to discern a pattern in the insignia of the FPA officers,
but they seem to be utterly chaotic and random =) Probably it's due
to the regional variation of their insignia or something...

And of course there're also the insignia for the armies, which are quite
seldom seen...

Ming.

--
|  \/  (_)_ _  __ _        >\\\|/<        | "If you wish to live wisely,  |