Re: Common Sense against nonsense: the recent debate on ranks

Sledge Hammer! (renegade@hooked.net)
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 13:06:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Reinhard-Siegfried wrote:

> Friends,
>
> I can say will 99% certainty that the system of ranks of the Reich
> are borrowed from the German one before 1945. You won't find in any
> other land forces the rank that fits with the thing "Colonel-general",

I was looking at my copy of Schindler's List, in the back of which there
is an appendix on German army ranks. There is indeed a rank between
Colonel and Brigidier General called "Oberfuhrer" which has no equivalent
in other armies. If we tried to make up an equivalent, the logical choice
would be "Colonel-General." So this would seem to confirm
Reinhard-Siegfried's observation.

However, there is no mention of Field Marshal. Could it be that Field
Marshal is simply a bad translation, caused by the Colonel-General rank
being mistranslated to Brigidier General, causing the higher ranks to
move up one grade, or am I just too ill right now to think clearly?

> Do you think Rudolf I the great scum will copy another system of ranks
> after copying so many things belonging to the old German Reich?
> Another evidence is the fact that Mr. Tanaka told us after Book V
> that he had intended to borrow things German for the things concerning
> the Reich. Names of people, noble titles, civil ranks, names of ships
> (many borrowed from medieval or even ancient German myths), but not
> military ranks?!The remaining 1% of uncertainty is left to the legend.

I agree. It would make sense for the German ranks to be copied.

-Hank
Hank Wong renegade@hooked.net http://www.hooked.net/users/renegade/
"Cal, the University of California, is not Berkeley, any more than
Berkeley, the city, is Cal." --Art Spander
"Dreams do not vanish, so long as people do not abandon them."
--Phantom F. Harlock,"Arcadia of My Youth"