Re: Concentrated gunfire

Wayne H. Yin (why@cs.utexas.edu)
Mon, 2 Dec 1996 08:24:18 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996 CSUE@delphi.com wrote:

> Re: Concentrated gunfire
>
> Actually, this is Yang's tactical specialty, and he makes use
> of it VERY often.

    yes, and since yang is usually outnumbered and out-gunned, mobility
and coordination often make the difference.  actually, i think that having
a smaller fleet is easier for him to coordinate and maneuver than a larger
force.

    but i wonder how much of his success in outmaneuvering the enemy is
due to the skills of his staff officers, like that guy yang picked up for
XIII fleet who was an expert at fleet maneuvers and formations (i can't
remember his name).  OTOH, that might not even be an issue with computer-
controlled fleets.  we already know that a number of the allied ships are
remote controlled.  in the second movie, i got the impression that he had
preprogrammed a bunch of maneuvers and formations into the fleet's C3I
computers.

--
  Wayne H. Yin			"Division is futile... You will be
  why@mail.utexas.edu		 approximated." -- Pentium of Borg