Re: Reinhard married?

Michael Renjie Tom (renjie@uclink2.berkeley.edu)
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 21:35:35 -0800 (PST)

Funny Chi questioned the fate of Julian.  Got me thinking cause my Chinese
History Prof (great guy, "Ol Ironside") had a great lecture on the
dynastic cycling which implies that some charismatic figure will start off
some empire which will last its time- two to three centuries- but will
gradually decay because his relatives will then grow decadent, blind, and
corrupt.  And, essentially, the dynasty falls and a new one is established
by another charismatic guy (presumably after a LOT of bloodletting).
A theory that is very different from the rule by divine right mentality
often inherent in European empires but then, I'm getting off track.
Its interesting that in some ways, Tanaka applies this concept to other
government systems implying that the no system is immune to this cycling.
The Free Planets-like all empires before it- rose with the Great Heinessen
and fell into the decadence of the Trunhilt administration.  And, the
massive bloodletting eventually finds Julian trying to find a new and
better system....  Ah, whatever.
mike