Re: LoGH Mystery Ship

Scott Swoboda (scotswo1@airmail.net)
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:03:04 -0600

CSUE@delphi.com wrote:

> Ree: mystery ship - I believe the proper spelling of the name should be
> Masasoit.  (An Indian name - Whether a tribe or a chief, I don't
> recall!)

Looks like Sue wins the mystery ship sweepstakes, and with it, our
undying admiration and praise.  Thanks to her clue, I found "Massasoit"
(close, Sue!) in the biographical section of my Webser's Dictionary.  He
was a sachem (chief) of Wampanoag Indians of eastern Massachusetts.
Your next mission, should you decide to accept it, is to figure out why
anyone would name a ship "Bang Goo."  In the event of your capture, the
secretary will disavow any knowledge of your mission.  This MSG will
self destruct in ten seconds :)

Regards,
Scott Swoboda

P.S.  My guess is that it is the worst misspelling of "van Gogh" in
recorded history, though it would be more believable if it had a strange
paint job like the "Mauria."