Re: LoGH Mystery Ship

Walter Amos (amos@sedl.org)
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 18:38:51 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Scott Swoboda wrote:

> When I thought about it, Massasoit is about as ancient to the LoGH
> characters as Ulysses and Patroklos are to us.  Perhaps owing to the
> peaceful public image the FPA tries to project as a counter to the
> "evil" Galactic Empire, they named some battleships after peaceful
> historic fugures.  Now playing at the Imperial Megaplex; "SINK THE
> GHANDI!"

Based on this theory then it is rather depressing that they would have to
reach back that far in their history for such characters - this implies a lack
of sufficient numbers of such people in the next few thousand years of future
history. :(  But examining our own history I guess that isn't much of a
surprise - makers of war are usually more immortalized than makers of peace.

I do like the "Sink the Ghandi" image though. ^_^;

> It is my understanding that the gentleman who enthusiastically purchased
> "Sunflowers" for the Sumitomo Bank had to find a new job.  From this
> evidence, I could speculate that not all Japanese appreciate van Gogh ;)

It's not a question of whether they *like* him or not, but whether they're
*aware* of him - to the degree that they'd misspell his name like that.

"Zu jeder Zeit, an jeder (sic) Ort, bleibt das Tun    |       Walter Amos
  der Menschen das gleiche..." - Galactic Heroes II   |      amos@sedl.org