RE: Warning Jennifer Califf [spoilers]

Califf, Jennifer (jcaliff@nsai-petro.com)
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 11:51:03 -0500

>Deborah J. Brown wrote:
>>
>> Monica/Akira-chan wrote:
>> >Well, perhaps let Oberstein take that laser rather than K-sama... or
>> >course,  that would truly change the story... by a lot. *Whew!* >Thinking
>>about it makes my head hurt...
>>
>> Can't help but comment that - if the laser in the books was as powerful
>> as it seemed to be in the anime - Oberstein's body would *not* have been
>> enough to protect Reinhart completely. He still might be killed and at
>> the least I suspect he'd be severely injured.
>>
>> I've wondered how things might have turned out, too, though.
>>
>Oberstein will never take that shot for Reinhard.  But if he was in
>charge of security, the incident would never have a chance to occure.

Oberstein, in the anime at least, did jump in front of Reinhart at the
last second.  But anyway, wasn't it by Oberstein's orders that Kircheis
had to turn over his gun to security before that whole fiasco?  Maybe if
the staff had had their weapons, they could've taken him out before he
could've pulled the trigger.  Certainly, if Kirchies had time to grab
him, there would have been time to fire.  Although I must say that the
reaction time of everyone else was truly pathetic in that situation.  (I
was yelling at the screen, "How long does he have to fight with this guy
and lie there bleeding on the ground before someone tries to help him.
A HANDKERCHIEF!?  PATHETIC!!  FOR GOD'S SAKE, APPLY DIRECT PRESSURE!!!
IDIOTS!! HOW COULD YOU BE IN THE MILITARY AND NOT KNOW BASIC FIRST
AID!!!!!!!!!!)  However, because of that order I hold Oberstein
personally responsible for Kircheis' death.

Jennifer