Re: LoGH appeal/release possibiliteis (Non-member submission from [Monica Shin <knomiko@yahoo.com>]

Hank Wong (hankwong@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 23:13:27 -0700 (PDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 17:35:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Monica Shin <knomiko@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Vs: LoGH appeal/release possibilities
To: logh

At 12:05 AM 7/19/98 +0300, Sampo wrote in response to Hank:

>>I always thought LoGH was an anime with a wide appeal among female
anime
>>fans. This might sound ironic, but I feel that the more
sophisticated FY
>>fan would be a good candidate to show LoGH to, given the similarities
>>(shoujoish, drama, plot-intensiveness, character relationships, etc)

FY...
it's not bad, but there are irritations galore along with some cool
points (Miaka, for one). The ending (manga-wise) is good, actually,
but it dragged...
FY, you watch for the bishonen (oh, and the melodrama, though after
50+ episodes of 'miaka!' 'tamahome!' it gets... irritating.) LoGH, you
watch for the plot -- and K-sama and Yang. ^_^

As for LoGH, I know several females who love the show -- it's just
that they're either not that vocal, or they're not on this list.
Quite frankly, I've introed LoGH to gals and guys, and the gals loved
it, while the guys whined and asked where the action/gore was. *sigh*
Of course, these were the same guys who hated patlabor.

>well, I haven't met one, so I cannot say. But since in FY, you can
quess that
>the protagonist will fall in love with each other, get married, live
happily
>ever after and all that crap, there isn't much in plotwhich can
surprise you.
>Nothing earth shaking, like Sieg getting murdered (though I expected
it a bit).

Uh... well, now you've met one. I hope you're not saying that female
viewers are the only ones drawn into wish-fullfillment types of animes
(Tenchi comes into mind... for males, anyway =P)

>>Anyway, LoGH is an anime you have to show to a person to get them
>>interested. IMO, describing it verbally just doesn't give it justice.
>>You have to see the the stunning scenes of massed ships in mortal
>>combat, as the strains of Dvorak's New World Symphony echo in the
>>backgrounds. You have to see the diabolical and ingenious use of
science,
>> strategy, and intrigue. You have to see the character interactions
and
>>how their relationships develop. On as big a screen as possible. And
in
>>stereo surround sound :)

*nod* I think so too. The sad thing is, though, that a lot of people
won't give it the time of day unless you force them to watch it. If
they're otaku, they dislike the "old" style, and if they're not, they
keep complaining about why you're making them watch a talking-head
cartoon...
*sigh*
You also have to make them watch more that a few eps... one or two
tapes worth to hook them in *evilgrin*

>In fact, people can imagine it quite well when I descripe it. Okay,
big screen and
>stereo surround can be good, but it's not necessary. By the way, have
you
>ever noticed how many people go to see a movie just for special
effects, in a
>theater with THX. Even if the movie something like Deep Impact. I
count myself to those people who don't give a damn about how good some
show looks or how wide is my TV, plot is the one that counts. Okay if
it's drawn like South
>Park, I will be a bit reluctant. Example.

Also, for LoGH, the graphics/art isn't the main draw, it's the plot.
Though it's nice to have the vol up for the battles...
South park ^_^;; isn't bad, though. For some reason,
sick/twisted/funny is how I find it. "Oh no! They killed Kenny!"

>>To have mass appeal, an anime show must either have cuteness, fan
>>service, outrageous humor, or giant robots. Preferably all four.
LoGH has
>>none of these. Even Kikukawa-san admitted at the panel that it is a
niche
>>market in Japan. It takes a sophisticated audience to appreciate a
>>sophisticated show. And face it, there aren't that many sophisticated
>>people out there. We are like the creme de la creme de la creme.

*grin*
Sad thing is, my friends (who hated it) probably also count in there
somewhere... most of the time. Their brain activity drops to nil when
they're watching anime though. Oh well...

Oh, and the Fan Service thread which I didn't bother replying to...
well, there's a bit of that in the manga, though more for
yaoi-fan-service peoples... *sniffles*

but, *grin* Stick in shower scenes of K-sama, and I can get ten people
to where they're showing that very quickly...

>>Note that these are all just _ideas_ so don't go around starting any
>>rumors! But hey, even Gundam is being released in the States (and they
>>said it couldn't be done), so don't abandon all hope yet!

Hallelujah, praise the lord. Indeed.
I can actually own good copies of the Gundam movies/0080...

Monica

==
Monica/Akira-chan/Heero/Hayama/Naga/Kircheis no Miko-TABBE! Member
monica@pipeline.com (main) Sorachan@aol.com +  knomiko@yahoo.com (alt)
http://www.pipeline.com/~monica/ - main web page ^_^
CLAMP, LoGH, Touch, RKen, Gundam, EVA, DearBoys, RoV, Subby, K-sama
"Tell Annerose-sama that Sieg kept his promise..." - Kircheis-sama