RE: Oberstein vs. Heydrich

Califf, Jennifer (jcaliff@nsai-petro.com)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 15:54:38 -0500

On Friday, July 31, 1998 3:31 PM, Deborah J. Brown
[SMTP:legion@erinet.com] wrote:

> It's always interested me that a man who seems to be as skilled in
> predicting how people will react as Oberstein can't seem to manipulate
> them better. How much of that is reaction to those eyes of his and how
> much is just his personality?

I always thought that Oberstein often uses his eyes as an excuse for
being who he is.  I don't think people would respond so badly to his
eyes if he had the personality of Geordi LaForge.  ^_^  I know that
sounds weird when I type it.  But think about it.  From the moment he
introduces himself he tells us that he wants to destroy the Goldenbaum
dynasty not because of the depravity of the nobles or to improve the
conditions of the people,but for a personal sort of vengeance because
had be been born during the time of Rudolf he would have been eliminated
because of his inferior genetics.  He's holding a grudge against the
family of a person who's been dead for hundreds of years because of a
law that's long since been repealed?  To me it sounds more like an
excuse than a valid concern.  Maybe because he was shunned or
discriminated against during his life, and he attributes that to the
Golenbaum legacy (though I think he'd have had that problem regardless).
 And his personality may have developed in part due to reactions people
around him had about his eyes, but he's perpetuated his reputation by
responding in kind.

Ah, I'm not making much sense today.  I'll shut up now.  ^_^

Yang!!  ^_^

Jennifer

jcaliff@nsai-petro.com       http://www.topher.net/~jcaliff/iserlohn.htm

"One of the mammals' evolutionary advantages was that they bore their
young alive.  As research has conclusively shown, animals that bore
their young dead generally got nowhere."
  --  _Science Made Stupid_ by Tom Weller