Re: Future Subtiled Episodes

Hank Wong (hankwong@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU)
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 12:36:04 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Isaac Alexander wrote:

> Since we have one potential person working on the scripts for LOGH, here's some other questions to throw out there.
> What fansubbers have already worked on LOGH.
> Bruce C.
> Sue Shambaugh
> others?

Actually, Sue is just a translator, not a fansubber. Her scripts have been
used by the folowing fansub groups, AFAIK:

Cal-Animage Alpha
CalTech
VTAS (Virginia Tech Animation Society)
Studio Silene (this might be Bruce Carlson actually, I'm more sure)
AnimeNet
Anime Central (?)

Except for VTAS and Anime Central, all these groups are defunct or
inactive.

> What is the biggest monetary concern with getting these things subtitled.
> 1. Hiring a good sub-titler?

Nah, as Walter said the actual subbing process is something you do
yourself, as a labor of love. The person you may have to hire is the
translator who translates the series into English (or whatever language
you want to sub in). If you are extremely fortunate, as we have been with
Sue ^_^ there will be a person who likes the series enough to translate it
as a labor of love. Or sometimes people will translate in exchange for
free copies or some other sort of non-monetary compensation. Failing all
of that, then you have to hire a translator, which can run anywhere from
$30-$50 per episode. Of course if you already know Japanese well enough to
translate then this is not an issue.

> 3. Having the time?

I'll let the real fansubbers comment on this, but my impression was that
yes, it takes a lot of time.

> Hank, you said that you know at least one fansubber who is willing to do the entire series but cannot afford the LDs and than someone posted that they have the entire series on LD that's on the list. Well let's put two and two together and let's do it.

Yup this has been considered. Unfortunately they live quite apart, at
least right now...

Hank Wong             		hankwong@soda.csua.berkeley.edu
LoGH List Admiral		http://www.hooked.net/~renegade
"So fast...like a gale..." -Vice Adm. Al-salem
List archive: http://looney.physics.sunysb.edu/~daffy/loghlist
Check out the new #logh IRC channel on EFNet!