Re: A quick question for one of our kind Chinese members...

A.T. (atong@ihug.co.nz)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:26:15 +1300

I do not know where you get the idea that TONG is a chinese name...it is
a very old English name ...the chinese version is usually prefixed as AH
Tong or Yee Tong etc. Tong by itself in chinese is the name of a group
or cult. excuse the time to reply as I have just returned from visiting
the Town clled TONG in England from whence my forefathers came from. In
the Auckland NZ telephone directory there are many europeans listed
under this name which is also spleed Tonge and occassionally Tongue.
regards
Alan Tong