RE: Manga vs. Anime [SPOILER]

Kariya (n-kariya@sci.hokudai.ac.jp)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:36:47 +0900

SPOILER ALERT

At Tue, 23 Feb 1999 15:15:11  Xerxes wrote:

>It is wrong to suppose Reinhardt did not feel sorry for the for the
>part he played in the Westland Massacre.
>
>As for making that decision, I think Reinhardt also regretted it very
>much.    ...

My description was not enough. I did not really want to mean that
Reinhard  did not regret on the Westerland Massacre in the original
novel. I agree with your opinion.

>To portray Kircheis as very angry and having a fierce look is also
>wrong.
>I would not be surprised if
>Kircheis should be even a bit angry feeling so much disappointment,
>frustration and confusion, but it is the feeling of disappointment,
>frustration and confusion that should be emphasized.  The anger is
>trivial.
>
>One factor that determine how angry should Kircheis feel is whether
>he had lost his faith in Reinhardt.   ...   But it was not the case.
>it is unthinkable that Kircheis should be very angry.

Your opinion is completely correct, I think. I should select and use
words more carefully. I mistook that the word "angry" is similar to
"upset".(or "lost his calmness").
What I wanted to say is that,  it is natural that Kircheis could not stop
showing his violent emotion at that time. It (his emotion) would be
the mixture of disappointment, frustration, and confusion.
He is very calm and considerate, however, at that time, he was afraid that
he must stand at the fork (whether he would go along with Reinhard
even if their opinions about "justice" had broken off, or not) very much.
Furthermore, he was obliged to be obstinate because of Reinhard's
talking way. So he said " I am your loyal follower" with trying to hold
his emotion. It is not only the anger.

I also think that it is difficult to judge Kircheis' emotion at that scene
from Ms. Michihara's comics. Not only for Ms. Michihara, it is not easy to
express the character's delicate feeling in comics.

Thank you for your giving careful and detailed view.

I wrote "I rather suppose the manga represents the original as to
that episode" before. What I want to insist on is what Reinhard  did.
There is a great difference between the anime and the original novel
(and the manga) about Reinhard's behavior. It is very important
whether he adopted the proposal of Oberstein positively (with a lot of
hesitation) or passively. In the original novel, Reinhard  victimize
Westerland by his own order, and it was very reason why he regretted
and hated himself so much. Then he could not help being too emotional
at the argument with Kircheis and depending on his(Kircheis) sympathy.
However, in the anime, he did not adopt the proposal. This difference
makes the difference of the degree of his sense of guilty and remorse.
Why it should be changed ? What is the staff's purpose ?

Thanks.

Karirin (Kariya)