FAQ qn and general noise

Lai Yin Yee (lyys@pacific.net.sg)
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 19:48:51 +0800

hi minna san

I was just wondering if there was a FAQ available on LGH? I would be V
grateful for any pointers in the right direction.
domo arigato <bow>

<cut/paste here>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 18:48:41 -0500 (CDT)
From: Walter Amos <amos@sedl.org>
To: logh@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: Re: Question....

>That's just the point - this ISN'T Star Wars. Reducing LoGH to one side =
>good, other side = bad completely trivializes the entire thing. Neither side
>is an absolute good or an absolute evil. One of the strengths of this show is
>that it demonstrates that good and bad people can exist in any situation.
>Both Reinhard and Yang are struggling for a "good", both against one another
>and against forces in their respective nations.

(before i say anything, i must first confess that i havent seen the anime
yet, i have only read the novels ...and that was in chinese, though the jap
ones are on my reading list alreadys....^^ second that i am new on this ML
so many apologies if this has been discussed before...^_^)
i agree, and futhermore good and bad are also subjective to our own point of
view anyways...star wars is a good show, no doubt abt it, but LGH, although
it is a SF story, has a slightly more political feel to it more than that in
Star wars ( at least in the novels it does to me). LoGH, IMO, also examines
some of the shortcomings of 2(or 3??) of the most government systems in use
today. and in the end, the answer is that there is no perfect way to rule
..and perhaps (one of) R's(oops, i mean Reinhardt) last comment/request
that we let the most capable person rule after his death would be the best
way, although it would be a _bit_ chaotic in process of transfering
power...hmm...sort of reminds me of 'the republic'..nevermind...

>And ultimately Reinhard is in no way trying to restore things to " the way
>they were". He wants to completely change everything, from destroying the old
>Goldenbaum dynasty completely to annexing the FPA and "seizing the universe".
hmm.....so which is better? radical change or learning from our mistakes and
improving ourselves?? of course in R's eyes, the Goldenbaum dynasty has
already passed the point of no return.

V random ramblings
lai