Re: New to the group.

Walter Amos (amos@sedl.org)
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 17:13:21 -0500 (CDT)

> > From: "Jonathan P. Kinlaw" <jkinlaw@usibr01.usi.edu>
> > I saw Legend of the Galatic Hero for the first time some time ago, and
> > since then I have been wanting to watch it again. I can't seem to find it
> > for sale anywhere, so I summise it is not in print in the USA. I was
> > wondering if anyone knew where I could get ahold of the movies. I would
> > really like to know more about the story, and enjoy one of the greatest
> > animations ever made.

Welcome to the list Jonathan! Yes you're correct, LoGH is not commerically
available in the US, nor I fear is it ever likely to be. We shall have to
content ourselves with fansubs for the foreseeable future. At the present
time, to the best of my knowledge, what exists of LoGH in subbed form is:

The first movie "My Conquest Is The Sea of Stars" (1988, 60 mins.)
The first OVA series (eps. 1-26)
the first 8 episodes of the second OVA series (eps. 27-34)

and as I mentioned in a previous email, I am doing my best to finish a sub I
am working on of the second movie. "Overture to a New War" (1994, 90 mins.)

> I've also wondered where I could find the series. The first time I
> saw it was when a friend of mine borrowed it from his Berkeley
> CalAnimage club. Unfortunately, they only had part of the first
> season (to my utter dismay). As far as I know, you cannot really
> obtain it here save on laserdisc, and then it's probably expensive
> due to import costs (not to mention subtitling costs). Where to get
> those, I have no idea.

Well, yes, ordering the complete LGH laserdisc box sets is prohibitively
expensive for most poor fans. However fortunately there are folks willing to
make copies off the LDs and of the fansubs. However understandably with a
complex story like LGH, most people can't watch it without fansubs, so are
limited to the episodes and movies I mentioned above. I am one of those crazy
people willing to watch it unsubbed even if I don't understand 98% of it.

As to subbing cost, actually that is usually quite minimal. Fan groups don't
(or at least shoudn't) charge for subs. The cost of actually making a sub
isn't that great either - if you already have the LD and LD player, all you
basically need is a computer and genlock. The great bottleneck in subbing,
especially for something like LGH which is very complex and not too popular,
is getting translated scripts.

> However, there is this wonderful site on the WWW that has all the
> info about the Legends of the Galactic Heroes storyline. They have
> synopsises of all the first season episodes and the page maker put up
> his interpretation of the second season (which wasn't subtitled, so
> he basically described the action as he saw it without really never
> understanding it). If you're interested here's the web site:
> wwwhost.cc.utexas.edu/ftp/student/anime/utanime/amos/.LGH/logh.html

Thanks Craig. I am basically the maintainer of that site, but the credit for
all the work on content goes to Lee Thompson. The 2nd season review you
mention is mine though and as you say, contains many inaccuracies. As you
said it is basically my impressions of the 2nd series watching it unsubbed.
Now that Ihave at least the first 8 subbed eps maybe I ought to update it, but
with Sue Shambaugh's episode synopses published in V-Max there is little need.
One of these days Lee should complete the big update of the site which should
include Sue's 2nd series synopses.

If you haven't yet done so also check out Ming's LGH WWW page, there is a link
to it on the LGH info page above. Not as much detailed info but his page
looks a lot cooler and has many interesting links.

"Zu jeder Zeit, an jeder (sic) Ort, bleibt das Tun | Walter Amos
der Menschen das gleiche..." - Galactic Heroes II | amos@sedl.org