Re: Re : An Incongruity

Walter Amos (amos@sedl.org)
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 23:27:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Xerxes J. wrote:

> [Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler]
> [Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler]
> [Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler]
> [Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler][Spoiler]
>
> No wonder you find this part incongruous. This nonsense was made up by the
> script-writer to put Yang on the screen. In the novel (branch stories vol.
> 1), there was little mention of Yang's presence in this part of the story.
> As usual, Yang's advice was brushed aside and all he could do was to sit
> idle in the flagship to witness FPA's defeat. The FPA headquarters did send
> a small fleet to distract the winning Reich army but it was not Yang who
> proposed it, let alone dodging his way back to capture Bruenhild.

AHA! So that's it! You know, this brings up a question I wanted to ask Mr.
Ishiguro at the panel at Anime Expo this summer, but there wasn't time. I
wanted to ask about the particulars of how and when decisions are made to vary
the anime from the novels. Things like this, and also the business about the
liquid metal surface of Fortress Iserlohn, which I gather is also an invention
of the anime. During the questions when he was discussing another point on
LoGH he said the producer was a big fan of the novels and tried to stay as
accurate as possible, and squelched some other ideas I guess some of the anime
directors had for variations. But if this is the case, then I wonder how
these variations discussed here came about?

Not that I think all these variations are bad mind you - the liquid surface
idea is one of the coolest effects I've seen in anime and it is put to
excellent use in the early episodes of the second series, despite that it
seems to be held up by magic as far as I can tell (or a technology so outside
any known physics it might as well be magic...)

> IMHO, the plan itself it too foolish to be worthy of Yang. It is
> unthinkable that a single cruiser can, in the heat of the battle, get
> anywhere near Bruenhild unnoticed. Even if such manoeuvre could ever be
> successful, wouldn't it put the FPA army in more advantageous position to
> approach Grossadmiral Meckenberger's flagship and take him hostage ?

Well my friends and I always had a humourous explanation for that particular
bit of incongruity. As we see during the battle, the young radar operator
"Tonio" on the Brunhild is asleep while his grizzled veteran buddy "Kurt"
smiles. We always assumed that in this scene Yang's ship must have approached
through the solid angle monitored by Tonio's radar, and so it was missed. ^_^
Of course if that were the case, I would expect Tonio to to be around for the
first few episodes, which he still is... ^_^

(You know this brings up another side point.... I always thought it was nice
in those early episodes to see Kurt and Tonio's point of view on things... we
get so much of High Admirals and Nobles all the time I think it is a good
change of pace to put in the view of the common foot-soldier. Unfortunately
Kurt and Tonio seemed to vanish after the first episodes of the series. I am
forced to wonder, are they also inventions of the anime or did they continue
in the novels and were ignored in that anime later on or what?)

> At this stage, Reinhardt was always careful not let himself be killed in
> battles for the reasons you mentioned. You inference is correct and so
> similar to what Mr. Tanaka put it in the branch stories that it looks like a
> translation.

Wow! @_@ Thanks! I suppose I should consider it an honor to be told my
musings are actually quite along those of the Author. ^_^

> Has anybody in this group read the newly published Chinese edition of the
> LoGH branch stories ? A bit surpirsed to find no discussion on this since a
> lot of us can read Chinese.

Unfortunately many of us also can't. ;_;

"Zu jeder Zeit, an jeder (sic) Ort, bleibt das Tun | Walter Amos
der Menschen das gleiche..." - Galactic Heroes II | amos@sedl.org