The Westland Incident (was : "family atomics")

xerxes@hkstar.com
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 16:32:53 +0800 (HKT)

At 04:36 PM 10/25/96 -0500, Wayne H. Yin wrote:

>At 11:26 AM 96.10.25, Mark David wrote:
>
>>> Nukes aren't used in surface battles; only in space. That's the "unwritten
>>> law," which is why the Westerland incident was so shocking, even to
>>> the Imperials.
>>
>> Speaking of which, letting it happen was the wrong discision on the
>> part of Reinhard.
>>
> actually, didn't reinhard ultimately to decide to dispatch a fleet to
>intercept the nukes? as i recall, oberstein lied to reinhard about the
>nukes' ETA to westerland and sent a scout vessel to make sure the incident
>was caught on film (or whatever they use in the empire).

> as angry as he was with oberstein, he assumed responsibility for
>allowing the disaster to happen.

[spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler]
[spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler]
[spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler]
[spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler]
[spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler]
[spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler]
[spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler]
[spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler]
[spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler][spoiler]

This is one of the parts where the anime differs from the novel.

According to the novel, Reinhardt considered Oberstein's proposal
strategically wise and was thus obliged to refrain from intercepting the
nuclear attack in spite of his great detest for the idea and full
anticipation of Kircheis's displeasure. Much of his remorse was the result
of the sight of the horrible scene of the disaster at Westland.

IMO, the change in the anime is probably made to transfer the blame to
Oberstein and portray Reinhardt's personality as one more acceptable to the
general audience. This arrangement compares strangely with the other parts
of the story. For being indecisive is untypical of Reinhardt - more so when
urgent action should be taken. Leaving the crisis unattended as if it
simply slipped one's mind is unpardonable.

As Reinhardt's faithful servant, Oberstein's conduct was irreproachable.
Oberstein might be accused of conspiring against the "potential enemies" of
the Reich without reporting to Reinhardt but, if one is to follow the Mr.
Tanaka's novel strictly, one finds no occassion in which he ever lied to
Reinhardt or defied Reinhardt's instructions. Doing so contradicts his
scheme to establish Reinhardt as the ultimate authority in government of the
Reich. If Reinhardt explicity rejected/disapprove his proposal, I am of the
opinion that Oberstein would drop it.

Xerxes J.
<xerxes@hkstar.com>