Re: The Westland Massacre (was : "family atomics")

Sydney Cousin (scousin@u.washington.edu)
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 15:37:30 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Mark David wrote:

> > I'm not sure if that's right or wrong; however, it's also necessary to
> > send some people off to doing the fighting/killing/dying so that he can
> > make the empire better. I still trust him to the 'do the right' thing
> > more often than not and think he's still the best one to lead the empire.
>
> If you were talking about soldiers whos job it is to follow orders
> than you would be correct. But those at Westland just wanted to live,
> like all the commoners.

But Reinhart wasn't responsible for their deaths, although it's true he
didn't react immediately he still planned to stop the massacre, but
Oberstein went over his head. The only mistake Reinhart made was in NOT
getting rid of Oberstien and explaning what really happened. Now (some)
people realize that the only way for Reinhart to have the footage was if
he did nothing.
He's being surrounded more and more by people he can't trust and that
act 'in his name.' However, as the leader he is still responsible for the
actions of those under him. He's in trouble from both internal and
external pressures/forces but I still don't think he's turned into one of
the high nobles himself. Just because he's starting to slip doesn't mean
he's still not in control of himself.

Sydney