Re: The ships of LoGH

Michael Renjie Tom (renjie@uclink2.berkeley.edu)
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 23:53:23 -0800 (PST)

Must be the damn line noise that so often deletes my mail, word searches
and does all this funky stuff to infuriate me.  Thats probably how you
were unsubscribed.  Otherwise, can't think of any other explanation.  I'm
I'm sure youd be on Imperial probation before they dismiss you.. (hahaha
dumb joke I know).
And there does tend to be a rather inconsistency in technology doesn't
there.  In the pilot, these ships actually had shields...  at least
directly in front of them.  The axes are for sheer dramatic affect me
thinks.  After all...  zefron particles doesn't explode if you fire say,
an air compression rifle.  Maybe these uniforms have a kevlar analog?  But
then that would protect against the axe as well...
But yeah, I think that Tanaka focusing more on politics and drama than
science fiction.  Think of how cut and dry it would be explaining plasma
waves or some fancy new device.  The technology utilized by LOGH has
already been set a precidence by the more popular science fiction world.
Think that Tanaka wasn't really in the mood for sitting around thinking of
brilliant new strategies to use if you had 70,000 ships in space.
THis was after all a set of novels and not a "knock yourself out"
Industrial Lights and Magic short film after all.  But yeah, it is an
inconsistency Ill give you that.
mike