Re: Zephyr particles

Wayne H. Yin (why@cs.utexas.edu)
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 11:41:41 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, BRENT BUCKALEW wrote:

> Say, could someone offer up an explanation to what the Zephyr particles
> do?  Are they like their Gundam equivalents?  Just wonderin'.

    the best name or description for "zephyr particles" that i can think
of is the old term "foo gas", a nickname soldiers gave to the magic fuel
that was used in flame throwers.

    it's apparently some kind of unstable gas that is an *extremely*
powerful explosive.  probably the closest equivalent to anything in use
today would be a fuel-air explosive; a 55-gallon drum full of a liquid
fuel that is sprayed into the air, mixing with oxygen, then ignited in a
big blast that approaches the yield of a tactical nuclear weapon.

    however, we know that it doesn't need air in order to ignite.
remember in the "klapstock incident" episode, kircheis uses "directed"
zephyr particles in space to destroy the artemis necklace without putting
his ships in harm's way.

    it's probably generated on-demand.  when we see schenkopf use them,
they're spewed from the center of this frisbee-looking device.  that would
make sense, considering how volatile the material supposedly is.

--
  Wayne H. Yin
  why@mail.utexas.edu