other tanaka stuff

Yin Lai (ylai@teetot.acusd.edu)
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 07:32:31 -0800 (PST)

hi,
hm...the last time i sent this off it got bouced back..hopefully this
time  will be ok:)..oh yeah, spoilers may apply to some of the below:)

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Ted Ekering wrote:

> Finally, I've been asked to translate a new Tanaka sci-fi anime series
> called Nana Toshi Monogatari (at least, we think that's how it's read --
> on/kun readings may be confused).  It's in two 30 min. parts, and the
> description on the back reads something like this...
>
> 	Because of the "Big Fall Down", caused by the collapse
it was due to the nuclear war i think
and that was after some of the human population moved up to settle on the
moon.

> 	of the earth's axis, the North and South poles moved
> 	to the equatorial region and all mankind on earth were
> 	annihilated. Luckily, however, those who were on the
> 	moon and escaped this calamity came back to the earth
> 	and built seven cities to start a new history.  However,
the seven cities were named after historical places , one of the
major ones was New camelot where most of the action fr...

hmm...i dont think it was the pple on the moon that started the seven
cities. i seem to recall that it were the survivors of the war that built
the cities out of what remained (??) or did i get that wrong?...hmm...

> 	fearing an attack from the new mankind on earth, people
> 	of the moon installed the "Olympos System" but caught an
> 	infectious disease and died away while the system was
> 	in drive. The people of seven cities have formed the
> 	armies, calling them a self-defence force and fought with
> 	each other, reconciling from time to time as if to pass the
> 	tedious time until the Olympos System shall be destroyed.
>
> Anyone familliar with this series, in anime or any other form?

err...me has seen the anime :) kinda slow IMHO, but the 2 parter only
animated the first story :) and me has bk :)
there is no official chinese translation of this novel from what i hear
too, sigh...sharp publishing has not got round to doing this one yet :(

the novel exists as a collection of abt 4-5 stories (i dont have the bk
with me now but i can check for ISBN and stuff), written by tanaka sensei
after LGH i think.it's published by haykawa novels.
the 2 main charas REALLY remind u of some of the charas fr LGH...:)
that and one particular retired politician(?)....that guy really reminds
me of yan ^_^  oh yeah and the novel illustration is tomomi kobayashi
..nice ^_^ ...tanaka sensei seems to have lotsa nice artists doing his
bks :) ...arslan was amano, LGH (towards the end) was katsumi michitaka. ;)

but the premise of the entire thing is kinda ok, and kinda fun too since
they are not allowed to use anything that is above 500m/ft(?) coz of the
olympus sys

> We haven't decided on an English title yet, so suggestions are encouraged...
hmm....how abt 'tales of the 7 cities' ? :)
which is what the jap title translates to i think :)

ramblings
lai