Re: Learn Japanese, anime style

David Chee Kay Leung (ckleung@mortimer.com)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 17:54:33 -0800

At 12:39 23/01/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Quick lessons and pointless phrases that are immaterial in real life but
>are really really useful in LOGH.  I'm sure that the hardcore fanatics in
>this list already know them for others  (my romanized jp sucks so excuse
>that fact:
>Ha-  Yes sir
>Moyee- ENOUGH
>Kai san- DISMISSED
>In Gun Da- Reinforcements
>Yi Teh- OPEN FIRE!
>TEh toh Kun: Admiral
>KAh Kah: Your excellency.
>Ma Sa Ka:  Impossible! ONly used by a fool that falls into a trap.
>HAHAHAHAHAHAHA: Confident laughter only used when watching a fool that
>falls into a well laid plan.
>All the silly phrases that I can think of at the moment.
>mike

Hi! Can I add/modify a few based on my own observations?

Kai San- Dismissed, but used only in a group setting, not for individuals
En Goon- Reinforcements. Da is more like an expression. En means help, Goon
means armed forces.
Ma Sa Ka: Unless. Usually used when one is unable to find an obvious
explanation to an event and suddenly recognises that there is an unusual
solution. In Logh the phrase is often used when someone falls into a trap,
but the phrase is also used often in other anime in other situations.
Yuen Shuai-- Marshal. Yuen means head or top. Shuai means senior commanders.
Teh Dok- Commander of a fleet, not necessarily admiral, maybe lower rank
e.g. rear admiral. Ku is usually an expression followed to express respect.
Soh - yes
yeah(Jap) - no (English)
Yi Ma Da - now
Gu Teh - Fire
Yi Kai Lu - Escape
Sing Gun - Battleship
Yu Tsu - Universe
So "Yu Tsu Sing Gun" means a space battleship
Kan Dai - Fleet
Gore Cha -- Red Tea, usually refers to British tea.
Core Hee - Coffee
Yiu Sigh -- Fortress, especailly those really big ones.
So Sham Mou Jo -- Chief of Staff, in logh this is used most often with
Oberstein.
Tsi Giu -- Earth. Tsi means land and Giu means sphere.
Gou -- religion

Actually I have a lot more but since I don't really know Japanese and the
above is based on my observations only, I am not going to say any more. I
hope there is someone out there who can tell me whether I am right or wrong
and who can correct my mistakes.

                                        David