Re: Lyrics

Darren Lo (darrenlo@umich.edu)
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 11:44:41 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Chi Ming Hung wrote:

> So far this is the song I like the best among the LoGH theme songs.  The
> mood is perfect for Yang and the FPA  =)   There's also a good quality MP2
> file there if you want to sing along =)

Following is my take on the ending song. I didn't choose to preserve the
order of words exactly in the translation, thus producing a song that makes
some sense in English. ;) The major problem that anyone will have in
translating this song is deciding what to do with "tsuzukou to." You'll see
what I ended up doing with it in a minute. The other big stumbling block is
the floating "yorokoberu hi o," which doesn't appear to have an associated
verb. I have chosen to link it up with "yume o ou n da." I'm pretty sure my
interprtation is accurate, but I wouldn't want it publically disseminated or
anything until I'm a little more confident about it. Of course, members of
this list may feel free to point out any objections they have to what I've
done.

Just a note: "chiribamu" means "to frame, mount, or inlay," and
"chiribamerareru" would thus be the passive form of the verb. I'm not sure
what you put in the translation at this point, but I remember you had
question marks on it. ^_^

#include <translation.h>

"Hikari no hashi o koete"

Subarashiku atsui namida o
Hito wa kokoro ni tamete iru
Kimi ga yuku miti o saegiru
Omoku munashii ikusa tsuzukou to
Yume o korosu na   Yume o ou n da
Haruka ginga no kagayaki o
Utsusu namida de hoho o nurashite  Yorokoberu hi o
Hikari no hashi o koete   Kokoro o hadaka ni shite
Hikari no hashi o koete   Namida to ai o tokihanashite

Subarashiku ooki na ai o
Hito wa kokoro ni daite iru
Kimi ga yuku miti wa uchuu no
Mugen no yami ni tooku tsuzukou to
Yume o korosu na   Yume o ou n da
Itsu ka ginga no kagayaki ni
Makenai ai de chiribamerareru   Yorokobi no hi o
Hikari no hashi o koete   Kokoro o hadaka ni shite
Hikari no hashi o koete   Namida to ai o tokihanashite

"Cross the Bridge of Light"

In his heart, man collects
wondrously passionate tears.
"Let us continue the grave, futile battle
 That blocks the road you travel," he says.
Don't kill your dreams.   Do pursue your dream --
the day we can rejoice, with cheeks moistened
by tears reflecting the radiance of the distant galaxy.
Cross the bridge of light; lay bare your heart;
Cross the bridge of light; unshackle your tears and your love.

In his heart, man holds
a wondrously large love.
"Let us continue along the road you travel,
 far into space's infinite darkness," he says.
Don't kill your dreams. Do pursue your dream --
the day of rejoicing, framed by love
That forever outshines the galaxy.
Cross the bridge of light; lay bare your heart;
Cross the bridge of light; unshackle your tears and your love.

Darren Lo, darrenlo@umich.edu                  +-----------------------------+
|Mobius strip for sale... see back for details.|of Schrodinger, for he is    |
|Klein bottle for sale... inquire within.      |subtle and quick to anger.   |