RE: followup to regarding Yang

S. Cousin (scousin@u.washington.edu)
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 16:30:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Califf, Jennifer wrote:

> >Anyway, to me Reinhard was more realistic because of his reaction to
> >Kircheis's death.  They were more than friends and with him (or his
> >sister) he really had nothing left in his life.  He just keep going
> >through the motions of being a leader and gaining power after that.
> >Which is a pretty empty, but common, way to go through life.  "I loved
> >this stuff at one point, but the reason I cared died.  Now I'm just doing
> >it because I have nothing left."
>

> I tend to disagree that going through life that way is common.

  Well I might be associating with really depressed people to much of late
^_^

> As it stands, you also partially proved my point by saying that most
> people are blessed if they have one true friend their whole life.  To
> have as intimate a relationship as Reinhart had with Kircheis is even
> more uncommon.  That's one reason it seems slightly beyond the average
> person's experience to lose someone that close.  We identify with that
> which we know best.

   Not disagreeing with you.  But even thou something is rare, there can
be several cases.  As I said Reinhart NEEDED Kircheis, Kircheis could have
lived without Reinhart.  This is hard to explain, but I think Reinhart
wasn't joking when he said Kircheis was his other half.  Now maybe that's
mostly because that's how Reinhart chose to live/make his life.  But it's
how is life is nontheless.
   We do identify with what we know best.  As I said I might just be
associated with people that are to depressed/stressed out ^_^

> I think Yang's loss of his friends is closer to what most people
> experience than Reinhart's loss of Kircheis, and I think that the way
> Yang deals with his loss is closer to the way most people deal with loss
> than Reinhart's.  I think that in itself makes me feel closer to Yang
> than to Reinhart.

   Well this is true.  But Yang had a life outside of Lapp and Jesicaa.
He had goals and dreams that didn't even deal with them.  Reinhart had
spend ALL of his life working towards on goal.  And Kircheis was his only
friend.  I think it's important to remember that Reinhart wanted power to
free his sister.  It was the driving force in his life.  Without it, he
really had nothing to dream/work towards (at first anyway).