RE: followup to regarding Yang

Califf, Jennifer (jcaliff@nsai-petro.com)
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 17:36:54 -0500

 Sydney wrote:

>Anyway, to me Reinhard was more realistic because of his reaction to
>Kircheis's death.  They were more than friends and with him (or his
>sister) he really had nothing left in his life.  He just keep going
>through the motions of being a leader and gaining power after that.
>Which is a pretty empty, but common, way to go through life.  "I loved
>this stuff at one point, but the reason I cared died.  Now I'm just doing
>it because I have nothing left."

I tend to disagree that going through life that way is common.  I think
most people eventually learn to cope with loss and still manage to live
their lives for a purpose other than just going through the motions.
It's a romantic fantasy to believe otherwise.  Obviously, some people
let themselves get completely hung up about things, but Reinhart's is an
extreme case.  Imagine how many more people would be in constant therapy
if Reinhart's case were that common.  As it stands, you also partially
proved my point by saying that most people are blessed if they have one
true friend their whole life.  To have as intimate a relationship as
Reinhart had with Kircheis is even more uncommon.  That's one reason it
seems slightly beyond the average person's experience to lose someone
that close.  We identify with that which we know best.  I think Yang's
loss of his friends is closer to what most people experience than
Reinhart's loss of Kircheis, and I think that the way Yang deals with
his loss is closer to the way most people deal with loss than
Reinhart's.  I think that in itself makes me feel closer to Yang than to
Reinhart.

Jennifer

Great, now I'm getting philisophical.  Before long, I may even say
something profound.  That's an even scarier thought than being Kouji no
Miko.