Re: Delphi, ranks, and SF, oh my!

Walter Amos (amos@sedl.org)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:47:57 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997 CSUE@delphi.com wrote:

> Herbert wasn't allowed to asysay anything during the release period,
> by contract, but his posthumous statement on the matter made it clear that
> he did NOT approve of the movie version.  (WHAT TV version??)  They remade

What Ming is referring to by "TV version" is, I believe, the version shown on
TV which had an extended opening narration about the history of the galaxy
before Dune, how the Guilds, the Bene Gesserit, Mentats, etc. came into being
which had a hand drawn background art instead of the more computer generated
looking planets in the original movie version.

> the movie with extra narration, but it was never a "TV" version").)  The
> point of Dune was that (and yes, this is appropriate to GHL, don't flame
> me!) there ARE no human messiahs.  Not MUad'Dib.  Not Reinhart, either.
> Paul ATreides was NOT the chosen one, and they screwed that up at the
> end of the movie.  (ack, phoo)  Herbert HATED that ending.

Ah yes, I did forget to mention that in my previous note - I too was quite
upset by the rain scene at the end of the movie.  It wasn't supposed to rain
on Dune for another thousand years or so!

And an EXCELLENT comparison on the messiahs point.  I think that would make a
wonderful college lit paper in an SF course, comparison of treatment of the
messiah theme in in Dune vs. LGH.  Especially with all of Yang's discussion of
Goldenbaum, the original "messiah" in LGH history and look what happened with
him!

> I wonder how Tanaka felt when they changed the ending of GHL for
> animation?  (my reaction: ack, phoo!)

How did they change the ending?  I know they changed the beginning, in that
the first movie wasn't 100% canonical, but I thought the ending was more or
less preserved...

"Zu jeder Zeit, an jeder (sic) Ort, bleibt das Tun    |       Walter Amos
  der Menschen das gleiche..." - Galactic Heroes II   |      amos@sedl..org