Re: More on ranks, SF, etc.

Chi Ming Hung (cmhung@insti.physics.sunysb.edu)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:14:39 -0400

On Jul 10,  9:23am, Walter Amos wrote:

> > Looks like that's not the only silly thing.  Notice the many funny  signs
> > that pop up in seemingly random places? ^_^
>
> Actually they're not random at all.  You'll note they happen after
typological
> errors.  Apparently whatever text composition method Sue uses for email, it
is
> not actually deleting the undesired characters but encoding the
> backspace/delete.  On many systems this is represented by the ctrl-h
> character.  Sue can you check your software settings?

Hmm, looks like we covered that one already ^_^

> Ah, I don't remember who first explained this (probably Sue) but actually
> there should be armies in LoGH, at least on the Imperial side.  This relates
> to the explanation of why Imperial ships can land directly on the surface of
> planets while the alliance uses those transport shuttles.  For a long time I
> assumed that this was just because the Empire had more money and could build
> fancier ships that could do this.  However the real explanation is that for
> most of its history before the war with the Alliance, the purpose of the
> Imperial fleet was to put down rebellions on local planets, which of course
> took place on the surface.  So the ships needed to be able to land on the
> surface to deploy troops and vehicles.  Said troops and vehicles would
> comprise the army, neh?

Looks like we covered this one as well ^_^

> I agree with your basic assessment - the Dune movie has a remarkable look in
> visualizing  Herbert's world.  The sets and costumes were beautiful.  My big
> problem with the movie is this:  it gives almost no sense of the diabolical
> genius of the Baron.  In the book the Baron is the personifcation of
> calculated maevolence, with more plans to accomplish his ends than you can
> keep track of.  In the movie he's just a fat guy who floats around and laughs
> a lot - you get the feel that without his aides he'd be a powerless buffoon.

Hey Walter, you're probably the only one who complains about villains not
being accurately portraited ^_^  You know, bad guys are bad guys, they enter
the scene, act badly for a while, and die!  That's it (don't you just love
my gross over-generalization of things? ^_-)    So get over the floating
fatman Walter, I bet they don't even have a poster with him on it! (but
if they do, I'm sure you have the only existing copy ^_^)

> And we're getting off the subject of LoGH here aren't we... ^_^

Don't blame me, Sue started it ^_^

Ming.

--
|  \/  (_)_ _  __ _        >\\\|/<        | "If you wish to live wisely,  |