[admin] about spoilers (was RE: Kircheis (spoilers)

Sledge Hammer! (hankwong@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 10:57:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Califf, Jennifer wrote:

> Rick Han Lin wrote:
> >And thanks for spoiling...
>
> I put the word spoilers in the subject line of the thread with my name
> in it because I was worried about spoilers,  and there is also a spoiler
> in the subject line of the message you sent.  If you are concerned about
> spoilers, then you shouldn't have made that last statement in your
> message about Yang.  The subject line doesn't say anything about it and
> in my opinion that is a MUCH bigger spoiler than anything we could say
> about Kircheis.  At least the stuff with Kircheis has been subtitled and
> is widely available.

I don't think it's your fault, Jennifer.

I understand that  many people on the list have read the novels or seen
the Chinese subtitled anime, and know more about the ending of the story.
However, a good number of people on the list have only seen the English
subtitled anime (which is up to episode 42 IIRC.) For future reference, I
request that if you're talking about something which could be a spoiler,
you put either the episode number or whatever season or novel number in
the subject header. Using recent threads as an example:

Kircheis (end season 1 spoilers)
Taking the shot (end season 1 spoilers)

etc.

Please also pay careful attention to the subject header when writing
followup emails. Oftentimes the subject matter may change yet the original
subject header remains unchanged, which was what happened in this
instance. The better thing to do in this case would have been to change
the subject header to something like:

Yang (season xxx spoilers) (was: Re: Kircheis etc etc)

Also, please be considerate when picking a subject header. For example,
a subject header of "<character name>'s death" would itself be a spoiler.

This has been a public service announcement.

-Hank, who was "spoiled" about Yang Wenli a long time ago and was not
happy about it.

Hank Wong				hankwong@soda.csua.berkeley.edu
California '95				Technical Writer and PP-ASEL-IA
Legend of the Galactic Heroes List Administrator
*****-----*****---http://www.hooked.net/~renegade***-----*****