Re: Close Encounters of the von Reuental Kind

C Sue Shambaugh (csue@erols.com)
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 17:59:30 -0500

Sentiono Leowinata wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, C Sue Shambaugh wrote:
>
> > > Scott Swoboda wrote:
> > > ...it was
> > > over five minutes before I realized he had one greenish-brown eye and
> > > one greenish-blue eye JUST LIKE OSCAR von REUENTAL!!  Who else has had a
> > > close encounter of the von Reuental kind?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Scott Swoboda
> >
> > Yeah, one of my friends in high school had bi-color eyes;
> > one blue, one green!  She was unremarkable otherwise,
> > however.  :>  -  Sue
>
> Just wondering. Genetically speaking, is it possible? For blue and green
> eyes, I can see it's possible because blue and green color is very close
> together and both are recessive gene type. However, brown and blue ...
> hmmm. Or the story goes similar to Reuntal? :)
> Can anyone comment on this?

Well, I have to speak up here about a common misconception
about genetics...

There are no "blue eyes" and "green eyes" per se - It's all
just shades along a continuum.  Nobody's eyes are both the
exact same color; there's no such thing as an "eye color gene."
(Most likely it is a complex interaction of many different genes,
some redundant.)  Theoretically, any two combinations could
happen where the left and right colors were wildly different.
It's just very rare to see that kind of variation.  (Hence we tend
to take notice when it does. :)

- Sue