(no subject)

Hank Wong (hankwong@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU)
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 18:36:43 -0800 (PST)

>From majordom  Fri Dec 12 19:00:46 1997
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 21:00:07 -0600 (CST)
From: Walter Amos <amos@sedl.org>
To: "Califf, Jennifer" <jcaliff@nsai-petro.com>
cc: "'logh@soda.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU'" <logh@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject: Re: Another silly question
Sender: owner-logh@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
ReSent-Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 18:36:39 -0800 (PST)
ReSent-From: Hank Wong <hankwong@soda.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
ReSent-Message-ID: <Pine.BSF.3.96.980305183639.6943H@soda.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Califf, Jennifer wrote:

Grf!  I was in the middle of replying to this and my computer locked up,
causing me to lose the lengthy reply I had typed! :(

> With 2 movies and 100+ episodes of animation, why have I never seen a
> cel from this show?  Did the studio choose not to release any of them?
> Or is there anyone who knows where you can get an LoGH cel?

Anyway, as I was saying... I have two.

The story of how I acquired them is sort of amusing.  I got them at Anime Expo
93, the year Masatoshi Tahara (the original producer of the LoGH anime for
Kitty animation) attended.  At the second of his 2 panels, he held a drawing
for free cels on the names of those who attended his first panel.

Now being from Kitty, besides LoGH he had a number of cels from Takahashi
anime like Ranma and UY.  Back then LGH was even less known than now, and it
was incredibly grating to see people some going up and receiving fairly
mediocre Ranma cels (shots with the character far off in the distance or only
half a face, for example) and being elated, while others went up and received
GORGEOUS LoGH cels (full front face and shoulder shots of many major characters)
looking utterly crestfallen.  I was actually hoping that, if called, I'd
receive a crappy Ranma cel, becuase I knew I could trade it easily for my pick
of LoGH cels.

As it turned out, I got a pretty nice LoGH cel of Shenkopp after the battle on
Shampool (when he reports back all covered in kisses).  Although this was
pretty cool, compared to some of the beautiful shots of Reinhard and Oberstein
I had seen sad faces carry away I was a little diisappointed.  And on an
additional ironic and sad note, another name called to receive a gorgeous LGH
cel was Helen McCarthy (editor of the former AnimeUK/AnimeFX - and a huge LGH
fan).  However she wasn't present at the second panel and someone else got it.
When I saw her later in the dealers' room I hesitated to tell her but she said
another of her cadre from England had already told her with obvious
"Schadenfreude" relish.

Late on Sunday was the art auction.  Now I normally never attend con auctions,
so I was wandering around.  As I passed by the auction room, someone came out
and said "Where have you been? Everyone has been looking for you!  They just
auctioned off a bunch of LoGH posters and cels from Tahara!"  So I went in.
Now, having run the masquerade (and that year was the first I wore my Imperial
admiral's costume, too) I knew all the staff, and there on stage Mike
tatsugawa and the others all said they wondered where I was, but they still
had one more nice Reinhard cel to auction, and motioned me to sit up front.

Now during the auction, one or 2 people canvassed audience taking bids.  When
the Reinhard cel came up, one of these people just sat right in front of me.
As the bidding went on, Mike and the rest of the staff were obviously focused
on me.  Almost no one else bid, probably from the combination of the
unpopularity of LoGH coupled with the intimidating factor of having all the
head people at the con so obviously encouraging me.  So in the end I picked up
a gorgeous cel of Reinhard in his white-cape and epaulets outfit from
shoulders up for only $40.  This cel (and the Shenkopp one I think) I scanned
and put up on the UT ANime club graphics ftp site.  It currently hangs over my
desk in work (and a lucky thing too, as inquiries about it have prompted me to
hook two of the more senior people in my section on the show! ^_^)

But, it bears mentioning, that in the years since I have never seen an LoGH
cel for sale at cons.  It was just luck that Tahara was there that year. (I
wish we could get him back, but having Scott Frazier (who did subcontract
animation work on the series) and Yasuhiro Imagawa (who directed it) regular
con attendees is pretty good.)

...and in answer to your question about Iserlohn ... I don't know.  It doesn't
exist in the mini German dictionary I have on hand, and I have never heard the
word elsewhere.  But then I am not really fluent.  The word "Lohn" means
"reward" or "wages".  (I had thought maybe it was a made up compound word like
"Kosmosinsel".)  But I don't know what "Iser" might be.

"Zu jeder Zeit, an jeder (sic) Ort, bleibt das Tun    |       Walter Amos
  der Menschen das gleiche..." - Galactic Heroes II   |      amos@sedl.org