Re: LoGH VCD collections

sundae (sundae@cheerful.com)
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:53:52 -0400 (EDT)

The quality is, well, what do you expect from HK$10/disc?  Consider them as
fansub, because in a sense they are.

I've seen portable VCD players (a little bigger than discman), and all DVD
players should be able to play VCD.  As for LD player, the newer ones should
play VCD as well, but be careful that some older generation of LD player can
play "CDV," which is a totally different thing, but not VCD.

<tech stuff>

If you have a computer with CD-ROM running Windows 95/98, you can play the
VCD using ActiveMovie.  Just open the MPEGAV directory and play the
music01.dat file.  There are other software MPEG players as well, e.g., if
you have an ATI video card (Mach64 and later I think), you can use ATI's own
MPEG player which comes with the video card or you can download from their
website.  I don't know if they work on video cards other than ATI's though.
Another choice is Xing MPEG player, which is shareware.

</tech stuff>

Now that only if I knew so many people wanted the VCD's, I should have
bought a few more sets when I went to HK two weeks ago. ;)