Re: Oberstein vs. Heydrich

Deborah J. Brown (legion@erinet.com)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 16:31:07 -0400

Walter Amos wrote:

>And I think that probably Heydrich was more personable (terrible as
>that may sound) than Oberstein, at least when meeting with fellow Nazi
>comrades.  [snipped meeting information where Heydrich calms things >down with refreshments] Contrast this to Oberstein's actions, for >example, in the meeting with Reinhard's staff officers after Kircheis >is killed, I think Heydrich would have tried to be a little more >accomodating, if for no other reason than to increase the
>likelihood of his own ideas being accepted. <snip again>

Oberstein even states, when he first approaches Reinhard, that he is
incapable of inspiring people to action. I've long suspected that one
of the main reasons he approach the others after several days instead
of immediately was that he needed them to stew in their own juices
until they were ready to take *anyone's* advice, even his.

It's always interested me that a man who seems to be as skilled in
predicting how people will react as Oberstein can't seem to manipulate
them better. How much of that is reaction to those eyes of his and how
much is just his personality?

Legion + 8/9ths - who'd like to see the translation of the books one
day
--
My childhood has been arrested...