Re: Oberstein vs. Heydrich

Deborah J. Brown (legion@erinet.com)
Sat, 01 Aug 1998 09:06:28 -0400

Califf, Jennifer wrote:
> I always thought that Oberstein often uses his eyes as an excuse for
> being who he is.  I don't think people would respond so badly to his
> eyes if he had the personality of Geordi LaForge.

I suspect a case could be made for his attitude being the cause of his
treatment *and* vice versa. My own sense - from the xlations of the
novels I've seen - seems to be a combination thereof. No doubt people
like Kircheis (and maybe some of the others) would be more willing to
give him the benefit of the doubt, but Kircheis is something of a
paragon. By the time Oberstein meets up with him and Reinhard he's
already pretty soured.

In other words, yes, Oberstein's cold behavior probably *is* what wins
him the 'love and respect' it does among the rest of Reinhard's staff,
but it'd take a Kircheis to deal well with the kind of predjudice he
seems to experience from the older members of the military. I think
it'd be pretty hard for someone as bright as Oberstein appears to be
to take, knowing his so-called superiors won't accept his suggestions
because he's a genetic misfit.

Of course, I like him because he's voiced by Shiozawa, but what can I
say -- the man could read the Tokyo telephone book and I'd enjoy it.
<grin>

>Ah, I'm not making much sense today.  I'll shut up now.  ^_^
No, you made perfect sense. I'm probably not doing so well, though,
since I'm operating on 1/2 a night's sleep. (Why do babies get more
active when you're trying to sleep, darn it?)

Legion + 8/9ths - Anticipation...
--
My childhood has been arrested...