Re: Bucock's mistakes (fwd) [SEASON2/3 SPOILERS]

Hank Wong (hankwong@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 23:34:47 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 01:27:59 -0700
From: Reinhard-Siegfried <h9407313@hkusua.hku.hk>
To: logh
Subject: Re: Bucock's mistakes

Hello,

(This one is surely a SPOILER for those who haven't gone through Seasons
2 and 3. STOP HERE if you are one of them!)

Battle of (Ratemario):
The battle was not a strategical decision but a political one. As the
Chief of Staff General Chan (?) said, this planet system is the last of
the uninhabited. Either stop Reinhard here or the Free Planets will
break
up, as far as morale is concerned. Or perhaps let Reinhard occupy
Heinessenpolis and force Trunhit to order both Bucock and Yang to
surrender.
Bucock was right to halt the senseless assault by the Free Planets Fleet
at the beginning of the battle. Even if the centre of the Reichsfloette
commanded by Mittermeyer were broken (I doubt if it could happen at
all),
either wing of the Reichsfloette was still big enough to hold the Free
Planets Fleets so that the other wing would come up to surrond it.
Reinhard would still have achieved his strategic objective by
anihilating Bucock's fleets before Yang's possible arrival.

Battle of (Mal-Arteda):
As the morale of the Free Planets had already broken, Bucock should have
fought to delay the advance of Kaiser Reinhard, maybe in a series of
lesser-scale battles, and brought as much of his troops to Iserlohn and
Yang. This is the ideal situation. (At least Yang et al would welcome
it.)
I think when Bucock was "face to face" against Kaiser Reinhard this
time,
he gambled for the impossible victory: killing the Kaiser, just what
Yang
almost succeeded in the Battle of Vermillion. Really the last Free
Planets Fleet vs one battleship and one man. Not a bad gamble.

Reinhard-Siegfried

p.s.: I apologize for my long "absence" in this list.