Re: Hello & Sources (LoGH X Starblazers)

Hank Wong (hankwong@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU)
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 16:54:50 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 29 Nov 1998, Leonardo Bellotto wrote:

> Well, I might say LoGH is a LITTLE bit diferent of Starblazers...
> When I was young, I really cared for Starblazers, but nowadays it seems - I
> don't know - outdated.
> LoGH is far beyond it - much more tactics, politics and everithing -
> although some friends of mine hate LoGH (and love Starblazers) because the
> lack of the "women factor" (fan service)...

Well there actually isn't that much fan service in StarBlazers. Not by
today's anime standards anyway. Matter of fact that's why a lot of today's
anime fans wont watch Matsumoto anime or LoGH- "no fan service or giant
robots" bleh philistines...

I would actually say that StarBlazers is far more tactically oriented
(Andromeda fire the wave motion gun there), and LoGH more
strategically oriented (left flank of 13th fleet, form a spindle
formation). The scale of battle is just too different to really compare
them otherwise.

I'm no expert on military strategy and tactics but the scale of LoGH is
such that I would almost go as far to say that it's more army-like in
nature, even though they are using ships.

As for political intrigue, LoGH definitely has the edge there. Yes the
plot of SB is a lot more simple but it's made up for by the the character
designs (Leader Desslok is still my favorite anime villan, and hey,
Captain Avatar was the consumate grizzled ship captain) and the visuals
(come on, how can you beat a _battleship_ in space? well mabye with 50,000
battleships :P) Though of course the LoGH visuals are quite stunning as
well. Also SB still has one of the best originally composed BGM tracks in
any anime. LoGH has great music but other than the vocals it is not
originally composed.

> In my case, the ticket that draw me back was Evangelion, and later, when I
> saw LoGH, I fell in love with it...

For me, it was the re-runs of Robotech on the Sci-fi channel that got me
to go to that first anime club meeting. But it was that anime club's
showing of the first 12 LoGH episodes that really got me into it...if not
for that, heck, I might be just some mindless Ranma fan today :P (j/k)

-Hank

Hank Wong             		hankwong@soda.csua.berkeley.edu
LoGH List Admiral		http://www.hooked.net/~renegade
"So fast...like a gale..." -Vice Adm. Al-salem
List archive: http://looney.physics.sunysb.edu/~daffy/loghlist
Check out the new #logh IRC channel on EFNet!