Re: Piyo Piyo

Walter Amos (amos@sedl.org)
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 22:59:56 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Michael Renjie Tom wrote:

> Yeah, maybe you could get it at any Cost Plus. Now that I think of it,
> wouldn't a mantel like those in LOGH be really really heavy? I mean,
> thats one big hunk of precious metal. Its concievable that the thing
> couldb e really light. Maybe its made from cromoly steel or aluminum...
> But then from the looks of such a gaudy culture, I doubt it. Its probably
> at least Paladium. Which means it is probably one shoulder strain.

Well actually, although it might look otherwise, I have become convinced that
actually those mantles are part of the uniform tunic and not a separate
overlay. There is a scene in the 2nd series where Reuental (I think) is seen
literally "zipping" up the top part of the collar. So the way Sue Shambaugh
made the costume for her husband Tom Holtz is basically correct, with metallic
cloth and piping overlaid on the black tunic, as opposed to the way I built
it, a separate cast solid piece worn over the tunic. This would also help
explain how the chest insignia for lower officers (like that Kircheis wears in
the first movie) stay on - they're just a part of the shirt.

Taking a page from Asimov, though, since as you say the Empire is such a gaudy
culture, I like to think that even if the mantles are merely a cloth overlay,
that they are made of "spun metal." I remember Asimov describing this for the
uniforms in the old Galactic Empire in the Foundation series and it always
sounded cool.

"Zu jeder Zeit, an jeder (sic) Ort, bleibt das Tun | Walter Amos
der Menschen das gleiche..." - Galactic Heroes II | amos@sedl.org