Re: money and economics in LoGH

1SWO%mimi@magic.itg.ti.com
Mon, 28 Oct 96 15:27:45 CST

From: Scott Swoboda

Subject: Re: money and economics in LoGH

Wayne Yin had a question:

> does anyone have any idea what they use for money in the empire and the
>alliance? i've seen what looks like gold coinage in the empire (most of
>the commoners seem to lead a remarkably low-tech existence). but in the
>alliance, we see people use what seem to be cash/debit cards.

The short answer is CREDIT! I don't recall which early episode it was, but
the Phezzan Landsherr Rubinski had commented that Phezzan banks were
arranging the financing for the construction of the huge battlefleets on
both sides. And, by preventing a peace between the Alliance and Empire,
they keep up the demand for huge battlefleets. It's almost like the
situation with Kuwait. The Sultanate of Kuwait financed Iraq's war with
Iran. When Saddam Husein couldn't "refinance" his debts on his terms,
he invaded. He didn't realize that the Allies coveted the oil as much as
Saddam covets money. Do you honestly believe that the Empire could tax
their "peasants" enough to pay for the fleets, fortresses, and palaces?
The nobles alone would, without doubt, go into debt to impress each other.

As Naboleon said, The first thing you need to go to war is money.
The second thing you need to go to war is money.
The third thing you need to go to war is money.

Regards,
Scott Swoboda