Re: other Tanaka works

Michael Renjie Tom (renjie@uclink2.berkeley.edu)
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 02:21:23 -0800 (PST)

Arislan is kinda amusing but for some reason doesn't really do the same
for me as LOGH for some reason.  Maybe its cause LOGH reflects more issues
that are modern.  That and don't think that Arislan is the type to rule
a kingdom.  I mean in those days, you had to be pretty tough as well as
wise to rule a kingdom.  Arislan's father was Ovlessor and that is why he
is defeated.  I sincerely doubt that Arislan can survive by wit alone
though.  It unrealistic.  Most of these Mongolian/Manchu/Jurchen/etc.
people that conquered themselves a kingdom were literally larger than
life.  See those rodeos where cowboys try to stay on the horse as long as
possible.  Mongolians of that time were expected to stay there until the
horse calms down.  And they were suppose to do it without saddles.
AND, they were expected to fire a sixty lb bow (at least) while on their
mount.  For that reason, all the parties that conquered China always got
disowned by their hardened brethen- they were always incorperated into the
Mandarin nobility and would lose their skills within two or three
generations. But yeah, get the feeling that Daryoon inevitably will
tell Arislan "ka-ka, you have got to be a bigger man than this"
Otherwise, yeah. Lots of parallels.  Lots of parallel voice actors too.
Soryuden is pretty standard anime...  bros.  enemy dude.  Big fish...
super powers when they come of age...  uh huh uh huh...
mike