Re: Yang Wenli

Walter Amos (amos@sedl.org)
Mon, 07 Jul 1997 10:04:42 -0700

Chi Ming Hung wrote:

> It depends on whom you ask.  I know for a fact that Yang is very popular
> in Japan.  And I think the reason is quite simple: People tend to identify
> with characters that bear resemblance to themselves.  So if you're of
> European descent (especially of German descent -_^), then most probably you'll
> like Reinhard.  On the other hand, if you're Asian, you'll probably like
> Yang more.  It's not racism or anything, it's just the way it is.

For the record, the principal reason for my liking of Reinhard has
nothing (well, almost nothing) to do with his near ridiculous
Aryan-ness.  It is for the reasons that, first, I too want to be King,
and second, I like his outfits. ^_^

> In fact Tanaka's depiction of Yang and Reinhard are pretty stereotypical
> depictions of Asians and Europeans.  Asians tend to do things in moderation
> and with deliberation,

Various Asians having done things such as building the Great Wall (the
largest manmade stucture in history), conquering just about everything
between the Pacific Rim, the Middle East, and Poland (the largest Empire
in history), killing nearly every sparrow supposedly to save grain but
allowing grain eating insects to thrive causing the largest government
organized mass starvation in history...  (the Chinese Emperors, the
Mongols, and Mao Tse-Tung were different people in different periods of
history but all were "asians")

> while Europeans are more outwardly agressive, exactly
> the personalities of Yang and Reinhard.

producing such militaristic notables as Percy Shelley, Lord Byron, Oscar
Wilde, Immanuel Kant, and others...

Sorry...don't mean to tweak you, Ming, I just tend to enjoy poking holes
in broad generalizations of any sort...^_-

> So if you count the number of Asian LoGH fans worldwide vs. the number of
> European LoGH fans, I'd say Yang has a slight advantage -_^

Well here I must concede you are correct...

--Walter Amos