Re: followup to regarding Yang

S. Cousin (scousin@u.washington.edu)
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 15:05:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Califf, Jennifer wrote:

> Actually, the relationship between Reinhard and Kircheis is, to me, one
> of the things that makes Reinhard a less realistic character than Yang.
> It's so rare to have that kind of relationship with someone, that I
> guess I have trouble identifying with it.  To me, Reinhard feels more
> like a "character" while Yang feels more like a "person".

    No, I have to disagree with you on this on.  While it's true most
people are blessed if they have one true friend their whole life, it's a
big planet.  They grew up together, went to school together, joined the
army, etc. etc.  Remember Reinhart needed Kircheis, not the other way
around.  Reinhart had sealed off everything in his life excecpt for
Kircheis and his sister.  Kircheis was his ONLY real link to the rest of
the world.  When he lost him he lost more than a friend he lost on of the
anchors of his reality. (does any of this make sense ^_^).

   Anyway, to me Reinhard was more realistic because of his reaction to
Kircheis's death.  They were more than friends and with him (or his
sister) he really had nothing left in his life.  He just keep going
through the motions of being a leader and gaining power after that.
Which is a pretty empty, but common, way to go through life.  "I loved
this stuff at one point, but the reason I cared died.  Now I'm just doing
it because I have nothing left."

					Sydney