Re: Question

Walter Amos (amos@sedl.org)
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 23:12:00 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Vanpus E'ynoss wrote:

> My friend and i can't decide if its Reinhard or Lionheart?
> Can anyone help us?

There is no doubt whatsoever that the "blonde brat's" first name is Reinhard.
That is a perfectly valid honest-to-goodness German name. (Remember Hitler's
protege, the Naziest Nazi of them all, Reinhard Heydrich?)  Not to mention
that it is shown as Reinhard in all the original Japanese subtitles.

The only possible question could come from the exact spelling of the name.
There are 3 valid spellings I have seen, in decreasing order of usage:
Reinhard, Reinhart, and Reinhardt.

To me the bigger question is his last name.  It is usually written
"Lohengramm" from the original and fan subtitles, but I have seen "Lowengramm"
in one or two places.  The German word for "lion" is "Lowe" (with an umlaut
over the "o"), and there is a gold lion on Reinhard's heraldic flag.  Also
there is the sort of the symbolism of Reinhard's golden "mane".  I wonder
therefore if maybe the second spelling is more correct.  But I can't say for
certainty. And I guess I have become used enough to the former spelling that I
would probably advocate sticking to it for consistency.
"Zu jeder Zeit, an jeder (sic) Ort, bleibt das Tun    |       Walter Amos
  der Menschen das gleiche..." - Galactic Heroes II   |      amos@sedl.org