Re: hmmm...

Walter Amos (amos@sedl.org)
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 18:45:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Michael Renjie Tom wrote:

> Quiet list. Here I was worried that my account would flood. Well...

No worry about that. Since LoGH demands more intellectual discussion than
most shows with the "who is the cutest" variety of discussion, it takes longer
to formulate good ideas. ^_^ Or something like that.

> heres a topic that doesn't require prereq knowledge on Allied/Axis
> columns. Which doe all of you think is better- manga or anime? Yeah.
> deadhead question. Think the manga is better because of the fluid ink
> designs that grace those pages. Very aesthetic. The strategies are
> harder to follow since I obvioously can't read any of it and its not as
> fluid (if anyone has the translation to the first few collected series...)
> but the characters are sharper. And Annerose and Jessica are prettier ;}
> Although it can be argued. not to say that the character designs are bad
> with the animated version but had hoped that they would follow the manga
> designs more closely.

It's only dead head in the sense that it probably is pretty trivial but not in
the sense that it isn't controversial since I feel the exact opposite! I
greatly favor the anime art and character designs over that of manga! The one
LoGH anime which followed the manga designs, the "Golden WIngs" OVA, is the
only LGH video that I really don't care for overmuch.

There are several reasons for this. First, the IMperial uniform designs in
the manga are very humdrum and not very distinctive. The anime designs, with
those black uniforms with the metallic looking shoulder "mantles" are like
nothing I've seen. Furthermore, the ship designs in the anime clearly show
much more thought put into them and into space physics than the manga style
designs which seem pretty generic. The anime design for the Imperial Valkyrie
fighter stands out as one of the best and most realistic designs I've ever
seen anywhere. Also the character designs in the anime are for the most part
physically possible people - i.e., they have bodies and facial features that
could happen. The manga designs seem much more shoujo-style with more big
dewy eyes and willowy bodies for everyone.

> Application exams: Provide reasons and influences that led you to come to
> the decision of applying for military school. (standard textbook entrance
> personal essay.)
> Mecklinger: "I wanted to be an artist and yet, you can't make money as an
> artist so I decided to join the military."

Addendum: "...it worked for Hitler."

...a cute idea, these essays. Must think up one for Julian.
"Zu jeder Zeit, an jeder (sic) Ort, bleibt das Tun | Walter Amos
der Menschen das gleiche..." - Galactic Heroes II | amos@sedl.org