Re: other Tanaka works

Yang Wenli (kenchoi@hkstar.com)
Wed, 06 Nov 1996 21:56:05 +0800

>Sohryuden, however, was absolute crap from the beginning.  I must admit
>I haven't seen this whole series either (I gave up after the third part),
>but the whole premise of a family of brothers descended from dragons didn't
>seem like Tanaka's usual intelligence.  The production values and character
>designs were so weak it only made the stories that much worse.  Has anyone
>found something of merit in these?

Nope, IMHO, Sohryuden is the 2nd best Tanaka's work.  I have to admit that
the anime is not well organized, and have a lot of devaiations from the novels.
In the novels, Tanaka blamed governaments around the world in a harshly
manner, including China, US, and esp. Japan.  In the arthour's words of each
volume, Tanaka always said that he was threatened by some 'patriot' and
Sohryuden may be banned by Japanese government.  Actually, as most of
netters in the mailing list have only watched the anime, which was highly
'purified' and turned into a more 'non-sense' style.

Besides, in the later volumes, Tanaka refered to many Chinese ancient stories
which are very difficult to express his views to Westerners through anime.

Regards,
Yang

Zu jeder Zeit, an jeder Ort, bleibt das Tun
der Menschen das gleiche... - LoGH

The 13th Fleet of Free Planet Alliance lives!!!